Images of God in the Bible, History, Theology, and Art
An International Theological Conference
Saint Petersburg Christian University (SPbCU) will be hosting its annual international theological conference exploring this year’s theme of “Images of God in the Bible, History, Theology, and Art” from April 19-20, 2018. The transcendent God of the Bible is expressed to our understanding throughvarious visual, verbal, acoustic, and sensory images. One can perceive God and speak about God only by means of these images and abstract concepts available to our human perception.
The purpose of this year’s conference is to engage Russian and international specialists in a joint discussion of the Biblical images of God (visual, verbal and acoustic) that have existed in different cultures throughout various historical periods.
Those interested in presenting a conference paper should provide a proposal title and abstract (up to 300 words) in one of the following areas:
– Images of God in the Bible (Old and New Testament)
– Images of God in apocryphal and Early Church literature and art
– Veneration of icons and iconoclasm
– The Image of God in the thought of the magisterial and radical reformers
– The Image of God in the thought of Russian Protestantism
– The Image of God in secular art and literature
– The Image of God in theology and psychology
The conference will bring together leading specialists (biblical scholars, historians, theologians, and art historians) from Russia, Germany, the Netherlands and the United States. Papers presented during the conference will be published in a compendium.